|Literal English||Demon Sealing Wave|
|Manga Debut||Chapter 135|
|Game Debut||Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22|
|Type||Ki Manipulation Technique|
The Mafūba is a secret technique devised by Mutaito to seal away Piccolo Daimaō. The technique is meant to utilize all of one's life energy, focusing it through the palm of their hands, creating a violent, spiraling wind which draws the opponent into a specially prepared container. A normal person will die when they use the technique. According to Muten Rōshi, however, the likelihood of death depends on the strength of the target being sealed. When the strength difference is not too vast, the target will not die. Son Gokū, Piccolo Junior, and God proven this whilst sealing targets where the difference in power was in their favour.
According to Muten Rōshi, if the difference in power between the user and the victim is far too vast, the user will is not only guaranteed to die, but the target will not even be sealed. Furthermore, to completely seal the target, the individual must be guided into the container, and the talisman placed over it. Failure to secure the talisman will result in the target being able to escape. Additionally, the container must be completely secure; any openings or damage renders the item useless.
In Other Media
Dragon Ball Evolution
In the live-action film, the Mafūba is seen as an "enchantment" that was created by a multitude of warriors, and requires multiple people to effectively use. It was used to seal Piccolo away within the Earth. Piccolo describes the sensation as being shackled so tightly that every atom in one's body feels compacted.
- While the technique is classified as being a Ki manipulation technique, Piccolo once refers to it as a spell, most likely due to sharing some similarities.
- The Mafūba has a track record within the series for failing when used on screen against the intended enemy; both times when used against Piccolo, the move failed to seal its intended target. Ironically, the one time the move was successfully used to completion was by Piccolo Junior himself, who succeeded in sealing away God with the Mafūba Reverse.
- In Dragon Ball Kai: Attack of the Saiyans, Kame-Sennin states that there was a weaker variation of this technique Mutaito used a long time ago to seal away evil; the Mafūba is the perfected technique.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Daizenshū 2, page 207
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Daizenshū 4, page 113
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Daizenshū 7, page 160
- ↑ Dragon Ball Fusions
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22
- ↑ Dragon Ball chapter 151, pp. 8
- ↑ Dragon Ball chapter 151, pp. 9
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Dragon Ball Super chapter 21, pp. 31
- ↑ Dragon Ball Super episode 61
- ↑ Dragon Ball Evolution
- ↑ Dragon Ball chapter 135, pp. 14