|Please note that this is the Dragon Ball Universe Wiki's article on the fusion form of two Zamasu from different timelines. If you are looking for the article on the alternative present timeline counterpart of Zamasu commonly called "Gokū Black" then you should head to Gokū Black. For other uses, see Zamasu (disambiguation).|
|“||My form is justice! My form is the world! Revere me. Praise me. This noble and beautiful... immortal and most powerful god... Zamasu!||”|
Zamasu (合体ザマス, Gattai Zamasu; Viz "Zamas"; Literally meaning "Merged Zamasu") was the Saiyan-half result of two timeline versions of Zamasu from the alternative present timeline, who is also known as "Gokū Black," while in Super Saiyan Rosé and his future self using the Potara earrings to combine into a single entity.
Retaining the arrogance and self-entitlement of Gokū Black and Future Zamasu, this fusion believes himself to be the embodiment of justice. Reveling in his power, Zamasu openly declared himself the supreme god upon his emergence, repeatedly and consistently vocalizing his divine brilliance and absolute authority. His ego is displayed by how he refuses to even defend himself against Gokū and Vegeta, his tendency to hover high over the battlefield to "look down" on everyone both figuratively and literally, and his use of "divine" terms (such as "holy", "judgement", and "absolution") to name his special techniques.
However, beneath his calm exterior, Zamasu is just as unstable as his components, if not moreso; according to Gowasu, this is the result of Zamasu's obsession with the contradiction between gods and mortals. He immediately flies into an overwhelming fury when Trunks and Vegeta briefly overpower him in their beam struggle, despite suffering no damage from the deflected attack, and his rage only grows when Gokū manages to actually harm him with God Kamehameha and Kaiōken. After having his body harmed, and being mutated by the Light of Justice, Zamasu becomes more unhinged and maniacal, prone to furious outbursts. This is due to the fact that his physical body is deteriorating and the conflicting of the souls of the immortal Zamasu and mortal Gokū Black that make up his form. By the time he engages Vegetto, Zamasu is reduced to enraged screaming and furious declarations of godhood, ironically becoming just as destructive and violent as the mortals he wishes to exterminate.
Interestingly, Zamasu is well aware of his own hypocrisy in taking on mortal elements by using Gokū Black as a fusion material. He views this as a necessary sacrifice to truly create his new world; by using Gokū's body as part of his being, he intends to never forget the "sins" of mortals. He also states that his actions are for the greater good of the universe, even crying at its thought, and believed his tears would purify the world.
After losing his physical form, Zamasu seems to have lost what remained of his sanity, as he constantly emits insane laughter. He also seems to no longer care about the world as he was willing to destroy the surface of the entire planet in a frenzied attempt to wipe out humanity.
Zamasu's appearance, as a fusion, is a combination of both Zamasu — the future incarnation, and "Gokū Black". Zamasu's green skin takes precedence in this fusion, as well as the pointed ears of all Shinlings. He also bears Zamasu's facial features. Zamasu's hair, however, is stylized similarly to the Super Saiyan Rosé, but is colored white, like Zamasu's hair. Zamasu's attire is the standard robes of the Kaiōshin, however, they are colored black with red lining, as well as tied with Black's obi, matching Gokū Black's attire. His accessories include the Potara Earrings and the Time Ring. Behind Zamasu rests a halo, similar to the ones that rest around Whis and Vados' necks, however, it is made of pure ki.
- Katchin Steel (カッチン鋼, Katchin-Kō): A renown material from the 7th Universe that is conjured through Zamasu's Materialization Sorcery that has the properties of having a stark black coloration. Appears exclusively in the manga's adaptation of the "Future" Trunks Arc.
- Potara (ポタラ): A mystical earring belonging to the Kaiōshin. Zamasu wears the earrings that created him. When worn on the same ear by two individuals, the Potara enables fusion. Furthermore, wearing the Potara brands one a Kaiōshin, and allow for the use of the Time Ring. Zamasu's Potara are coloured green.
- Time Ring (
時の 指 輪, Toki no Yubiwa): A magical ring, belonging to the Kaiōshin, that allows Zamasu to travel through time. The ring has its limitations, however—if the distortion in space-time mends itself, he is forced back into the era he came from. Furthermore, the ring normally only permits the user to travel to the future and then back to the present and, thus, without a distortion, he is unable to travel back to the past.
As the merger between two Zamasu: one from a parallel universe, the latter being from a futuristic timeline. Zamasu in this incarnation has the power that exponentially surpasses his two merging sources. Explained by the merged Zamasu himself, his body possesses a continuous rise in battle power. Zamasu also possesses a regenerative immortality, traits that were garnered from his original source material, Black. Despite this, his power was able to completely overpower the abilities that of Son Gokū and Vegeta on their own, even in their Super Saiyan Blue forms. In the manga adaptation, Zamasu also was able to overpower Son Gokū in his completed Super Saiyan Blue, requiring them to fuse into Vegetto to gain enough power to capitalize on Zamasu's weakness. Likewise, Trunks ultimately needed the power of Super Saiyan Rage form to strike Zamasu down.
As Future Zamasu gained immortality before fusing, the ability transferred to the fused being. With it, Zamasu could regenerate his injuries along with his damaged clothing. Albeit, the immortality is rendered useless, due to him being created from an immortal Zamasu and a perishable past counterpart, thus resulting in an unstable merging, and while his immortal body, his other component can still be killed through ordinary means. In the manga, Zamasu's form was also able to bypass this weakness and regenerate from both of his sources, even after defusing.
His ki is a unique rainbow hue, shimmering with an incandescent glow, and takes the form of a halo behind his body.
Barrier of Light
Super Saiyan Rosé
As Gokū Black was in a Super Saiyan state when he and Zamasu merged to create 'Zamasu', Zamasu himself is in a constant state of 'Super Saiyan Rosé'. Due to the nature of the Potara themselves, this form is now permanent, and Zamasu cannot revert to a base state any longer. This would have resulted in the transformation eventually taking a toll on Zamasu's body and shortening his lifespan if he wasn't immortal. However, being immortal might not prevent the form from taking a toll on Zamasu's body, especially if he is forced to fight for a prolonged period of time.
"Future" Trunks Arc
Main article: "Future" Trunks Arc When the Zamasu of the present and future combined using the Potara, this Zamasu was born. Upon becoming a single entity, Zamasu proclaimed his status as the most beautiful and noble of the gods. As he manifested a halo of light, Zamasu proclaimed his body's abilities, before attacking the Saiyan duo with lightning. Vowing to show them the power of a god, Zamasu launches exploding blades at Son Gokū and Vegeta.
After the pair recovers, Zamasu tells them the Zero Humans Plan will be completed today, followed by attacking with lightning again, and withstanding Vegeta's attack. Deciding to unleash his godly might, Zamasu emitted a bird-like ki figure, which repelled the Saiyan's, hurting them to revert back to their base forms. Overlooking the defeated pair, Zamasu directs his attention to Earth, and unleashes his power in an attempt to clean the planet of its filth. However, Vegeta and Gokū recovered and attacked, destroying Zamasu's bird-like ki technique in the process. When they attacked Zamasu himself, he blocked their attack, followed by attacking with his exploding blades again.
When Trunks arrives, the two briefly fought, leading to Trunks being repelled to the ground. Insulting the mortal, Zamasu attacked with Holy Wrath, which clashed with Trunks' Garlic Cannon. Before Trunks was defeated, Vegeata used his own one, and the two overpowered Zamasu. Frustrated at their resistance, Zamasu attempted to attack Trunks, but attacked Vegeta instead when he shielded his son. After that, Gokū approached Zamasu, and fires his Kamehameha, which clashed with Zamasu's gigantic energy ball.
Zamasu, however, was overwhelmed by the Saiyan's attack, resulting in an explosion which scared the semi-god, leaving the entire right half of his body and face swollen and turning purple. Gokū then attacked Zamasu at close range, but Zamasu grabs him by the leg; Gokū enhanced his physical attack by using the Kaiōken, and kicked him to the ground, managed to destroy the halo. The Saiyan warrior ended up too exhausted to attack further, Zamasu charged up by calling upon the pink-colored lightning streaks to spread his mutated arm.
In Other Media
The fusion version of Zamasu first made a debut in the first promotional video of Super Dragon Ball Heroes, an update for the Dragon Ball Heroes video game.
Conception & Creation
According to Toyotarō in the manga's original script, he was not supposed to be such a powerful character, as Akira Toriyama originally intended. Though immortal, the idea was to always illustrate that Merged Zamasu would only require two Super Saiyan Blues to defeat him.
- Zamasu is the only known Saiyan-half to not be part-Earthling. He is also the only Saiyan-half to be created by fusion from a pure Saiyan and a non-Saiyan.
- Unlike other fusion characters, Zamasu isn't voiced by dual voice actors, but instead is voiced by a single voice actor, who overlays his voice.
- According to the Dragon Ball Super rival 'danger scale', Zamasu tops the list at twelve stars out of twelve.
- (Upon his emergence) "My form is justice. My form is the world. Revere me. Praise me. This noble and beautiful… immortal and most powerful God… Zamasu!" (「わが姿は正義。わが姿は世界。あがめよ。 たたえよ。この気高くも美しい 不死にして 最強の神…。 ザマスを。」, "Waga sugata wa seigi. Waga sugata wa sekai. Agameyo. Tataeyo. Kono kedakaku mo utsukushī fushi ni shite Saikyō no kami…. Zamasu o.")
- "Observe! A body that can infinitely increase in strength and is immortal! […] It feels good… This power that fills my body… This is true justice!" (「見よ…無限に強さを高める肉体と不死身の体を。[…] 心地よい わが身に満ちる この力。まさに これこそが正義！」, "Miyo… mugen ni tsuyo sa o takameru nikutai to fujimi no karada o. […] Kokochiyoi wagami ni michiru ono chikara. Masani kore koso ga seigi!")
- (To Gokū and Vegeta) "Listen carefully. I am the sun that shines in this world, and this radiance is justice. I, Zamasu, is the knowledge of the universe, the law of the universe, the power of the universe. Begone from where this light shines. Today, the Zero Mortals Plan will be completed by erasing all remaining lifes. Thus, a more perfect world shall begin." (「よく聞け。われは この身で 世界を照らす太陽なり。そして この輝きが正義と知れ。このザマスこそが 宇宙の知恵 宇宙の法 宇宙の力なり。この光 差すところより消えよ。人間０計画は 今日 残る全ての命を消し去ることで完成する。そして かつてない理想の世界が始まるのだ。何 言ってやがる！」, "Yoku kike. Ware wa kono mi de sekai o terasu taiyōnari. Soshite kono kagayaki ga seigi to shire. Kono Zamasu koso ga uchū no chie…uchū no hō…uchū no chikaranari. Kono hikari sasu tokoro yori kieyo. Ningen Zero Keikaku wa kyō nokoru subete no inochi o keshi saru koto de kansei suru. Soshite katsute nai risō no sekai ga hajimaru noda.")
- "This truly is justice. Power, intellect, fire and light, all shall return to the gods. This filthy world, sullied by the violence of mortals, shall be reborn as the ideal world for gods, by gods." (「これこそが正義。力も知恵も炎も光も全て神の下に戻る。人間の暴力にまみれ汚れた世界は神の神による理想の世界に生まれ変わるのだ。」, "Kore koso ga seigi. Chikara mo chie mo honō mo hikari mo subete kami no shita ni modoru. Ningen no bōryoku ni mamire yogoreta sekai wa kami no kami niyoru risō no sekai ni umarekawaru noda.")
- (To Gokū and Vegeta) "Your greedy nature of trying to touch a god… That's your sin! A god is one who looks down. It is not one you can so casually touch. And yet your countless humiliations against me...are sins worthy of death!" (「神に触れようとする その卑しい心根 それが罪なのだ。神は見下ろすもの。お前たちが軽々しく 触れてはいけない存在なのだ。にもかかわらず お前たちが われにもたらした数々の屈辱 死に値する罪だ！」, "Kami ni fureyō to suru…Sono iyashī kokorone …Sore ga tsumina noda. Kami wa miorosu mono. Omaetachi ga karugarushiku…furete haikenai sonzaina noda. Ni mo kakawarazu omaetachi ga ware ni motarashita kazukazu no kutsujoku…shini ataisuru tsumida!")
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Dragon Ball Super episode 64
- ↑ Animedia December 2016 Issue - Atsushi Kido Dragon Ball Super Comments
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Dragon Ball Super episode 65
- ↑ Dragon Ball Super episode 66
- ↑ Dragon Ball chapter 502, pp. 1
- ↑ Dragon Ball Super episode 65
- ↑ Dragon Ball Volume #4: Toriyama-Toyotaro Free Talk Volume 2
- ↑ “Dragon Ball Super” Rivals Super Biographies!!!